Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Body Scoop for Girls

This book is actually for parents with tween or teen girls.  I had my reservations of posting it but my heart says it might help other parents like me.

The Body Scoop for Girls: A Straight-Talk Guide to a Healthy, Beautiful YouI saw this on Today show.  The author, Dr. Jennifer Ashton, is an Ob-Gynecologist.  She interviewed teenage girls.  The interview was about personal hygiene and the importance of going to an Ob-Gyn for their health and well-being. 

The girls were open to Dr. Ashton.  Honestly, I'm stunned by their answers.  It was quite an awakening.  One girl said that most of the girls she knew in school are involve in sexual activities.  And they don't have the right idea about menstrual cycle, breast and bone health, or protection from diseases and pregnancy.

I have two young girls and I'm anticipating for challenges I'll be facing in raising them when they're teenagers.  I'm a conservative parent and practicing Christian and family values are very important for me.  Times are changing.  I'd like to protect them from getting hurt due to high-risk adolescent behaviors, by providing them facts.   Most teens really get the wrong information from their peers.  These are mostly myths and hearsays.  And it's scary.

As parents, we are responsible in teaching our children how to respect their self as a person, how to understand their changing body and how to take care of their health and well being.  We can do it by communicating with them in a non-threatening way and with respect.  It's not easy to have a conversation of this subject with a teenager.  And I'm not sure if these are taught in school.  But I really think that this book will help a lot.  It offers a lot of helpful information.  It's better to get the right information from you and the book than from somewhere else.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I've been listening to what tween and teen girls are 'talking about' now and also am blown away. I have a 13 yr.old granddaughter and I think this would be a good book to give her mom (my daughter)...so they can have open conversations. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete